Sunday, June 26, 2011

Open breakfast sandwich



When low carb bread is in the freezer, it seems to burn a hole in the appliance, begging to be let out. It shouts at me whenever I open the door; "I'm here, don't forget about me!" Because, inevitably, I do. Yesterday morning, after a very inspiring peek inside the fridge, I let the bread free. The smoked Prosciutto, eggs, mushrooms and cheese looked at me eagerly, so, a breakfast sandwich was born. 
I took out the frying pan and drizzled in some olive oil, let it warm up and then cracked an egg into one side and 4 sliced mushrooms in the other. After frying the egg until lacy and crispy on the edges and turned over, squashing down the yolk to get a nice squidgy texture, I removed the egg and continued cooking the mushrooms until the juices began to run and then dried up as the mushrooms shrank and intensified in flavour. One slice of my bread was toasted and then topped with the egg, 2 slices of smoked Prosciutto, the mushrooms and a few slices of nutty Rathtrevor cheese. This was then placed under the grill until the cheese began to melt. A light sprinkling of dried oregano and a breakfast sandwich to rival any restaurant or fast food joint was complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment