Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Off the wagon



Location : Burrard and Dunsmuir
This cart used to be better known for frequenting the rounds at the local farmers' markets, but has now been given a Downtown space and a premium one at that, serving some very tall office buildings and shops.
I've tasted their wares before in the form of their pulled pork taco, eaten whilst sat in the car in the middle of January, fingers sticky and Neil watching my every move should I get any juice on the upholstery. I remember thinking it was very good back then, full of slaw, salsa, guacamole and cilantro, classic Mexican, almost a pleasant change from the many hybrid varieties abounding around.


The day we visited, the pulled pork was sold out by 12.30pm. Instead we tried the rotisserie pork, cooked like a donair or shawarma meat, turning and crisping slowly on a vertical rotisserie. If you read my blog at all, you will know that I adore meat that has crisped and browned, crispy probably being the adjective I use the most. This meat was just like that, better than pulled pork, in my opinion, which can sometimes be too wet. It was served simply with guacamole and a choice of either pineapple or tomato salsa. I chose the tomato, Neil the pineapple.


As good as the tacos were, full of (yes), crispy pork with a savoury, spicy seasoning and a tangy tomato or sweet - tart pineapple salsa, I'm beginning to feel taco trucks are saturating the Vancouver food truck scene. Where are the Thai carts, selling curries, fried rice or street foods, serving this kind of food because it's what they know and are good at, (for example). I hate to make comparisons to a major cart city like Portland, but there the carts are much more authentic, food sold by people of that country trying to make a living, not 'what's my concept' from some chef with 'celebrity' status from a stint at a well known restaurant. Of course, we have some carts like this here also and I'm generalising somewhat.


The reason I mention this is because what excites me most about a city like Portland is the opportunity to wander the little cart 'towns' where a dozen or more are nestled together in a parking lot and know that you will be able to try many different types of cuisine from all over the World at very reasonable prices. We have a long ways to go to match a place like this and I'm worried that here in Vancouver we are travelling in the wrong direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment