Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tandoori chicken

Chicken Tandoori for New Year's Eve lunch.

New Year's Eve has always been hit and miss for me. I've had incredible times, boring times and downright miserable evenings. I suspect most people feel the same. From what I've heard from other people, NYE can be a real letdown after the promise and mounting excitement of what is always supposed to be a really exciting night. Last night, we went to an apartment party with Madmen as the theme, easy enough for the men, they just wore suits, but a bit of a dilemma for ladies. 

I thought the women would be dressed appropriately in 1960's office attire to complement the men. So I wore an original 60's dress complete with neck scarf, gloves and an up do. Of course, I forgot where I live, so all the girls turned up in their 'interpretation' of a Madmen look, which basically means lots of very short skirts and hair newly tousled at the salon, some of them looked like they were going to a prom. Not so much Joan or Peggy, but more Hollywood starlet on the red carpet, I felt decidedly dowdy all evening. Anyway, I digress. We didn't know how much food there would be, so I made Tandoori chicken for lunch.


The chicken had been purchased the day before at a permanent market just on the other side of the ocean in North Vancouver, called Lonsdale Quay. Just two legs and thighs, not much but enough for a lunch.

To one cup of plain yogurt I added 2 tbsp tandoori paste, 1/2 tsp salt, the juice of half a lemon and mixed well until combined. I slashed some cuts into the chicken and slathered on the marinade. Ideally, the chicken should have been immersed in the sauce, turned well to coat, covered and left to marinate for 8 hours. I gave it 10 minutes so it wasn't exactly an intense flavour.


Roasted for 30 minutes at 420oF and then grilled (broiled) at the end to crisp the skin.


This was served with a salad consisting of leaves, avocado, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, onions and some cheese with a raspberry and balsamic dressing (shop-bought). My last cooking adventure of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment