Wednesday, June 15, 2011


Location : Taco orange : Robson Square
Taco blue : Burrard & Dunsmuir




I skipped happily along to it, ready to try as many things as possible and was pleased to see fish tacos on the menu as well as something called a Gringa. When I questioned what this was, I was told it was similar to a quesadilla. I ordered the $4.50 fish taco and the same priced pork 'gringa'. After giving them a $1 tip as a new cart, I spent $10 on lunch, something I know Neil would roll his eyes at again. 'Maybe they will be huge', I thought.


They weren't huge and I was glad I ordered two, as this would be just substantial enough as a lunch. The fish taco had very crispy batter with a sweet, white fish inside which was a nice contrast. It was topped with a salsa comprised of  tomatoes, onions and shredded cabbage. This would have worked better for me if there hadn't been an absolute shed load of lime juice in it. Citrusy to the point of almost being sour, it left me with an unpleasant sensation in my mouth. I know Mexican food relies heavily on citrus juice, but this actually overpowered the fish, plus, it came with an extra piece of lime to squirt over the top if you really want to punish yourself.



The 'gringa' was indeed like a quesadilla. The tortilla tasted like it had been toasted or fried slightly, giving it that lovely toasted texture and taste, a little crispy also. The pork inside was really delicious. Large chunks with a sauce that almost tasted like curry from the use of cumin, I imagine, with a citrusy edge also heavily reliant on lime juice that worked this time as it cut across the rich, sweet meat. The meat was nestled on top of some sour cream, corn salsa and cheese, which melted into satisfying strands. I would definitely buy this one again and would probably also get the fish tacos again, but take them home and remove the salsa. Perhaps they will tone it down a little in future or maybe I really am naive when it comes to authentic Mexican food.


No comments:

Post a Comment