Thursday, June 23, 2011

Roast goose for Christmas


The Goose. I have to say it was good, but not the spectacular yuletide feast we were anticipating. Maybe I did something wrong, but the flesh was dry, the meat very sparse and the taste gamey, almost liver-like. We did enjoy it, and the skin crisped up perfectly, but I don't think I will be cooking it again for Christmas dinner. I have cooked it once before when a friend was given one by a farm friend and passed it onto me. At that time I remember it being a huge success, maybe because it was a new experience.


The potatoes cooked underneath were given 1 hour to bask in all the goose fat glory. The result was crisped, tasty potatoes, although they did require a little salt to liven them up. (Again, I say, did I do something wrong?)


It looks good enough.

The Goose
1 large goose
1 clementine, cut in half
A large handful mixed herbs, I used tarragon, sage, parsley, rosemary and thyme.
4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
salt, pepper

Push the clementine, herbs and garlic into the goose's cavity, season well with salt and pepper and rub with olive oil. Roast on a tray or rack set above a baking tray to catch all the juices and liberal amounts of fat as it cooks for 3 hours at 375oF. One hour before the end of the cooking time, I added 4 peeled and halved potatoes, tossed them well in the hot oil and left them to cook until crispy. Oh, and I added 2 parsnips as well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment