Thursday, April 14, 2011

Marmite

 
....There is a certain soy sauce I buy, which, to my mind, closely resembles the smell and taste of Marmite. Deeply savoury and meaty, like beef, although no meat product has ever come near it, I drink a little cupful occasionally. When I told the owners of the little store I do this, they looked at me with a sort of pity verging on fear. When I worked at a vet's in my teenage years, there was a certain brand of worming tablets that smelled so similar. Obviously 'beefed' up with meaty juices to be appealing to dogs, I would frequently put my nose right in and have a good sniff. My dad once encouraged me to try dripping on bread, he said it was just like Marmite. I still feel slightly disappointed that a man I hold in such esteem could make such an error over a far inferior flavour.

So what is this revered thing? Marmite is an institution in the UK and opinion over its merits are so divided that the company has its own love or hate campaign.

Can you guess which side I belong to?
People who love Marmite, really love Marmite.

People who hate Marmite, really h.....you get the idea.
Except of course Neil, who, always playing devil's advocate, claims he doesn't mind it.

Considering this savoury, meaty spread is vegetarian, it's interesting to note its origins:


My favourite Marmite recipes

Marmite and cheese on toast
Marmite, cheese and cucumber sandwiches
Marmite as a flavour enhancer in soups, stews and curries
Hot Marmite drink


 

No comments:

Post a Comment