Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bay leaves

Bay leaves are from the Bay Laurel tree. They are available fresh or dried and have a distinctive flavour and fragrance. They are used widely in Mediterranean cuisine, North American, French, (in particular in a bouquet garni), and Indian cuisine. 

If eaten whole they are sharp and bitter but become herbal and floral when dried, reminiscent of oregano or thyme. I have seen bay leaves available as Californian, Turkish, Indonesian and dried Indian. 

Their medicinal uses include keeping moths away, treatment of headaches, ulcers and fungal infections. 

I recently owned a magnificent bay tree in the garden which thrived until a cold winter which killed it. I was unaware that the tree should have been brought indoors during the colder months. 

I use bay leaf probably more than any other spice (or herb) in my kitchen. In curries, I will place 2 whole, dried bay leaves straight into the dish to flavour throughout the cooking process. I add them to nearly all stews, casseroles, soups and stocks I make and place one under the skin of each breast of a bird I may be cooking, whether it be turkey, chicken or duck. The flavour it imparts to the flesh is very distinctive, slightly herbal, floral and savoury.

No comments:

Post a Comment